Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sarah Ruhl's Eurydice and Barter Barter Barter

Last night Jake and I went to see a production of Sarah Ruhl's Eurydice.  This play just leap-frogged to the top of my Favorite Plays list.  How does someone write a stage direction like "A child, the Lord of the Underworld, enters on his red tricycle."?  Or a line of dialogue like "I can do chin-ups inside your bones."

Our friend Kato McNickle chose and directed this play, which was performed by Ledyard High School students.  It was an ambitious choice, one which demonstrated trust in her young cast and crew. It also gave both the actors and audience a chance to experience a little-known play rich with metaphor, gorgeous language, humor, and tremendous theatricality.  A chorus of goggle-wearing stones (who advocate eternal sleep untroubled by memory or grief)?

Tickets for Eurydice were a $6 bargain.  However--and this was a theme today--I bartered an Urban Eden gift certificate for tickets for Jake and me.

I also bartered, bartered, bartered earlier in the day at the Fiddleheads farmers market.  Soap for duck eggs, soap for lettuce, soap for apple pie.  I bought a few things, too: chocolate hazelnut milk (big sale), pears, kale (can you believe I'm out of kale already?)  and...everybody in unison...sweet potatoes.

Lastly, because I had a coupon for ten dollars off any purchase, I went to Borders after the farmers market and bought a book: The Break of Noon by Neil LaBute.  I've been a fan of LaBute ever since I saw his play Bash.  This one has the intriguing line on the back cover: What if God told you to be a better person but the world wouldn't allow it? 

The photo from Eurydice was taken by Kato McNickle.

Daily Consumption Totals:
Food: $8.48
Book: $4.19
Bartered: theater tickets, duck eggs, lettuce, pie
Miles Driven: 17 (I'm claiming half the mileage to Ledyard because Jake and I rode together.)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day! What do you use duck eggs for? How do they taste compared to chicken eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried them yet, but Glenn the author/beekeeper/chicken and duck-egg gatherer says they're just like chicken eggs only bigger. I'll let you know what I think after I've had a duck-egg omelette.

    ReplyDelete